Safety Tips for Motorists:
- Respect motorcycle riders. Motorcycles are vehicles too and have the same privileges as an automobile, so be sure to give them ample room.
- Look and listen. Even if a motorcycle is loud, don’t expect to hear it. Actively look for motorcycles in traffic.
- Leave room. Leave plenty of room between your vehicle and the motorcyclist’s. Uneven terrain, wet roads, and heavy traffic often require a motorcycle rider to react and maneuver differently than automobiles.
- Be aware. Take extra caution when making a left-hand turn, because most automobile-versus-motorcycle crashes occur during left-hand turns.
- Don’t drive distracted. A driver who takes their eyes off the road for two seconds doubles their risk of getting into a crash.
Safety Tips for Motorcyclists:
- Wear safety gear. Helmets that meet a high protection standard, eyewear, closed-toe footwear and protective clothing reduce your risk of injury or death in a crash. Remember, the only thing between you and the ground is your protective gear.
- Be visible. Keep headlights, marker and taillights on at dusk and dark or rainy weather. Wear bright clothing or put reflective strips on your bike to be more visible to other motorists. Avoid being in the blind spots of cars and trucks by following three to four seconds behind the vehicle in front of you.
- Use sound judgment. Avoid weaving between lanes while riding. Be sure to use your signals and stick to the speed limit.
- Get proper training. Completing a motorcycle safety course can not only make you a better rider, but save you money on your motorcycle insurance.
At Largey Law, we represent victims of motorcycle accidents who have suffered catastrophic injuries. We’ve seen the devastation these accidents can cause, so we urge all motor vehicle operators to do their part to improve traffic safety throughout Florida.
If have been injured in motorcycle accident, trust Largey Law to fight aggressively for justice. To schedule an appointment with an experienced lawyer at our firm, contact our office online.